For this episode, Emilie and Zach bring some of their favorite foods to the “Dish It Out” table, and welcome Dorothy Chan into the SituAsian Room to discuss the Journey to the Motherland and Identity. Join them as they discuss the experiences of traveling to the countries where their families are from, the conflicts of growing up Asian American and traveling to Asia as an American, and more.
On This Episode:
- Hello again, friends! Welcome back to the SituAsian Room. In this episode, Emilie and Zach “Dish It Out” with some of their favorite foods, as well as discuss the Journey to the Motherland with this week’s special guest, Dorothy Chan! Join them in the SituAsian Room as they talk about going home to the countries their families call “home,” their thoughts and experiences, and what going back to the Motherland could mean for a young Asian American.
Key Topics of the Episode:
- Dish It Out – Food Segment!
- Introduction – Journey to the Motherland with Dorothy Chan
- Journey to the Motherland – Histories & Experiences
- Growing up in communities with smaller Asian representation
- Struggles with Identity – Too Asian? Too American? Where do we fit in?
Resources Mentioned, Suggested Readings, Social Media Handles:
- Washington Post: Celebrating my Asian face and American spirit, at last.
- Fund for Education Abroad: Immer-Asian – A Foreigner in her Motherland
- Dorothy Chan
- Instagram: @dorothy_the_asian
Connect with Us:
- Thank you so much for tuning in to this episode of The SituAsian Room! Make sure you guys follow us on social media and stay up to date on all of our upcoming episodes:
- Since you’re already on our website…check out our blog! As we continue to release episodes, we also post content on our blog that talks more about the topic we discuss in the SituAsian Room!
Produced and Hosted by Emilie Villaverde and Zach Ng
Edited by Kyle Hudson
Music by Eway Sounds
A Crimson Planet Media Production Distributed by KeystoneDigital.tv